Main Article Content
The research was conducted with the aim of knowing the use of the Google Word Coach game in helping students improve vocabulary skills. The research method uses Quasi Experimental Design with Nonequivalent Control Group Design by comparing student learning outcomes between the experimental class and the control class. In achieving this goal, the Pre and Post Group (PPG) is used. The pre and post design (PPG) was applied at Madrasah Aliyah Negeri I Serang, the research population was 270 students in class XI science and the research sample was 80 students. Sampling was done by snoballing sampling technique. The data analysis technique used the T test. The results showed that the observed T value was 7.313 and the Sig value was 0.00 <0.05. So it can be concluded that by using the Google Word Coach game students are able to improve their mastery of English vocabulary. The use of digital media and the latest technology by students in their English learning materials should be studied more by researchers in the future.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
With the receipt of the article by the Editorial Board of the Cakrawala: Jurnal Ilmu Pendidikan and it was decided to be published, then the copyright regarding the article will be diverted to Cakrawala: Jurnal Ilmu Pendidikan.
Cakrawala: Jurnal Ilmu Pendidikan hold the copyright regarding all the published articles and has the right to multiply and distribute the article under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
A copyright transfer from the author to the journal is done by filling out the copyright transfer form by the author.
Copyright Transfer Letter: Download
- Creswell, J. W. (2014). Research design : qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches (4th ed.). Singapore: Sage Publication.
- Dornyei, Z., & Griffee, D. T. (2010). Research Methods in Applied Linguistics. Oxford University Press.
- Fakhruddin, A. A., Firdaus, M., & Mauludiyah, L. (2021). Wordwall Application as a Media to Improve Arabic Vocabulary Mastery of Junior High School Students. Arabiyatuna : Jurnal Bahasa Arab, 5(2), 217. https://doi.org/10.29240/jba.v5i2.2773
- Gonzalez Fernandez, B., & Schmitt, N. (2017). Vocabulary acquisition. In S. Loewen & M. Sato (Eds.), The Routledge handbook of instructed second language acquisition (pp. 280–298). Routledge. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315676968.ch16
- Har, A. L. C., Abidin, M. J. Z., & Saibon, J. S. (2019). The benefits and drawbacks of using tablet-based digital storytelling in vocabulary learning among Malaysian young english as a second language (ESL) learners. Asia Pacific Journal of Educators and Education, 34, 17–47. https://doi.org/10.21315/apjee2019.34.2
- Hartono, D. A., & Prima, S. A. B. (2021). The correlation between Indonesian university students’ receptive vocabulary knowledge and their reading comprehension level. Indonesian Journal of Applied Linguistics, 11(1), 21–29. https://doi.org/10.17509/ijal.v11i1.34590
- Karakoc, D., & Kose, G. D. (2017). The impact of vocabulary knowledge on reading, writing and proficiency scores of EFL learners. Journal of Language and Linguistic Studies, 13(1), 352–378.
- Kremmel, B., & Schmitt, N. (2016). Interpreting Vocabulary Test Scores: What Do Various Item Formats Tell Us About Learners’ Ability to Employ Words? Language Assessment Quarterly, 13(4), 377–392. https://doi.org/10.1080/15434303.2016.1237516
- Kurniawan, M., & Tanone, R. (2016). Mobile learning in TESOL: A golden bridge for enhancement of grammar awareness and vocabulary mastery? Asian EFL Journal, 8(May), 155–159.
- Li, Y., & Leng, J. (2020). The influence of media types on students’ learning performance in a role playing game on english vocabulary learning. In Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems (Vol. 70). Springer International Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-12385-7_21
- Multazim, A., Dramestika, R., & Hudayah, F. L. (2019). The Correlation between Students’ Grammar Mastery and Vocabulary Mastery toward Students’ Translation Accuracy on Recount Text Akhmad. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity and Change, 5(3), 147–161.
- Pasaribu, S. P. Y., Hutasoit, R. D., Sihombing, Y. N., & Tarigan, S. N. (2021). Enhancing Student’s Vocabulary by Using Flashcard Media Via Google Classroom During Covid-19. Edukatif : Jurnal Ilmu Pendidikan, 4(1), 227–232. https://doi.org/10.31004/edukatif.v4i1.1808
- Salim, H., Suryadi, S., & Erlangga, F. (2021). The Effects of Contextual Clues Within A Picture of Road Signs on Students’ Vocabulary Mastery. Ethical Lingua: Journal of Language Teaching and Literature, 8(1), 228–234. https://doi.org/10.30605/25409190.251
- Schmitt, N. (2008). Review article: Instructed second language vocabulary learning. Language Teaching Research, 12(3), 329–363. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362168808089921
- Schmitt, N. (2019). Understanding vocabulary acquisition, instruction, and assessment: A research agenda. Language Teaching, 52(2), 261–274. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0261444819000053
- Subasno, Y., Degeng, S. N. I., Pali, M., & Hitipeuw, I. (2020). The Effectiveness of Multiplex Teaching Method in Mastering Vocabulary for Deaf Students. European Journal of Educational Research, 9(3), 1257–1265. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.12973/eu-jer.10.4.1649
- Sun, C. H. (2017). The value of picture-book reading-based collaborative output activities for vocabulary retention. Language Teaching Research, 21(1), 96–117. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362168816655364
- Suryadi, Widyaningrum, W., & Erlangga, F. (2020). The Effects of Google Word Coach Game and Vocabulary Mastery on Students’ Speaking Skill. Ethical Lingua: Journal of Language Teaching and Literature, 7(1), 92–100. https://doi.org/10.30605/25409190.146
- Syafrizal, S. (2021). The effects of using whiteboard animation toward Indonesian students’ vocabulary and grammar mastery. Journal of Language and Linguistic Studies, 17(2), 783–793. https://doi.org/10.52462/jlls.55
- Thalib, I., & Arifin, F. (2019). The Development of the myKadera System for Object Vocabulary Mastery for Students with Hearing Impairment Based on Augmented Reality. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1413(1). https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1413/1/012034
- Tseng, W., & Schmitt, N. (2008). Toward a Model of Motivated Vocabulary Learning: A Structural Equation Modeling Approach. Language Learning, 58(2), 357–400. https://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9922.2008.00444.x
- Umar, Budiarsa, M., & Satyawati, M. S. (2019). Assessment of English vocabulary mastery through environment-based image media on the 7th grade students. Asian EFL Journal, 25(51), 62–82.
- Virgana, V., & Lapasau, M. (2019). The Influence of vocabulary mastery and reading comprehension towards performance of students in mathematics. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1360(1). https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1360/1/012001
- Waluyo, B. (2018). Vocabulary Acquisition through Self-Regulated Learning on Speaking and Writing Development. International Journal of Language Teaching and Education, 2(3), 286–302. https://doi.org/10.22437/ijolte.v2i3.5747
- Willis, M., & Ohashi, Y. (2012). A model of L2 vocabulary learning and retention. Language Learning Journal, 40(1), 125–137. https://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09571736.2012.658232
- Wulandari, A., & Musfiroh, T. (2020). Effectiveness of using bilingual and monolingual card in increasing vocabulary for young learners. International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research, 9(1), 2211–2214. https://api.elsevier.com/content/abstract/scopus_id/85078758137